TRU Compliance Information
The public may use the Public Transport Refrigeration Unit (TRU) Search to search the Air Resources Board Equipment Registration (ARBER) system to check the compliance status of TRUs and TRU generator sets. Report noncompliant TRUs to CARB's Complaint Hotline.
- Compliance Schedule
- Compliance Assistance
- TRU Compliance Extensions
- Resources for Carriers, Brokers, Forwarders, Shippers, and Receivers
- 100% Compliant Carrier List
|End of each year|
< 25 horsepower (hp) model year (MY) 2013 and newer engines must meet Ultra-Low Emission TRU (ULETRU) in-use standard by the end of the 7th year after the engine model year.
25 - 50 hp MY 2013 and newer engines meet ULETRU and have no further in-use standard requirements.
|December 31, 2019||MY 2012 engines must meet ULETRU.|
|December 31, 2018|
MY 2011 engines must meet ULETRU.
< 25 hp MY 2004 engines that met the Low-Emission TRU (LETRU) in-use standard in 2011 must meet ULETRU.
|December 31, 2017|
MY 2010 engines must meet ULETRU.
MY 2003 engines that met LETRU by the end of 2010 must meet ULETRU.
|December 31, 2016|
MY 2009 engines must meet ULETRU.
MY 2002 engines that met LETRU by the end of 2009 must meet ULETRU.
|December 31, 2015|
MY 2008 engines must meet ULETRU.
MY 2001 & older engines that met LETRU by the end of 2008 or 2009 must meet ULETRU.
|December 31, 2014||MY 2007 engines must meet ULETRU.|
|December 31, 2013|
MY 2006 engines must meet ULETRU.
|December 31, 2012||MY 2005 engines must meet ULETRU.|
|December 31, 2011|
< 25 hp MY 2004 engines must meet LETRU or ULETRU.
25 - 50 hp MY 2004 engines must meet ULETRU.
|December 31, 2010|
MY 2003 engines must meet either LETRU or ULETRU (Enforcement begins March 31, 2011).
In-Use Performance Standard enforcement began.
|December 31, 2009|
MY 2001 and older and MY 2002 engines must meet LETRU.
CARB staff began field enforcement for registration of all California-based TRUs.
|July 31, 2009||All California-based TRUs must be registered with CARB. Initial Operator Report must also be submitted by this date.|
Please contact email@example.com to inquire about compliance requirements for power packs with engines that are 50 hp or more.
Please be aware that 30 days after compliance with the in use performance standards, compliance information must be entered into ARBER for each California-based unit. Operator Reports for California terminals where TRUs operate must also be updated to add new Identification Numbers (IDN) within 30 days of the unit coming under the control of the operator. IDNs must be affixed to both sides of the TRU housing (see TRU Advisory 08-10) within 30 days of receipt. Additional information is available in TRU Advisory 08-15.
New TRU Models that Meet the ULETRU In-Use Performance Standard
TRUs that meet the ULETRU In-Use Performace Standard have no further in-use standard requirements.
CAUTION: Current TRU models equipped with less than 25 hp engines do NOT meet ULETRU and therefore have a ULETRU compliance deadline at seven years. TRU Advisory 12-22 explains the compliance requirements and options for less than 25 hp TRU engines.
- How Do I Comply with the TRU ATCM?: Logic flow charts and references to assist with TRU Airborne Toxic Control Measure (ATCM) compliance.
- In-Use Performance Standards (see page 4)
- Registration applications for CARB Identification Numbers (see page 7)
- Operator Reports (see page 8)
- Frequently Asked Questions and Guidelines for Compliance with the TRU ATCM - Guidelines for compliance in a question and answer format. (Español)
- Compliance Assistance Documents
The documents below help TRU owners find TRU unit and engine labels and the information on those labels that is needed to apply for an ARB number:
- Carrier Transicold Unit and Engine Labels: This provides helpful pictures showing where to look for the Carrier unit labels and Kubota engine labels. It also shows pictures of where to look on the unit label for the unit model, model year, and serial number. There are also pictures showing where to look on the engine label to find the engine manufacturer, model, model year, and serial number. For further assistance, contact a local Carrier Transicold dealer.
- Thermo King Unit and Engine Labels: This provides helpful pictures showing where to look for the Thermo King unit labels and Isuzu or Yanmar engine labels. It also shows pictures of where to look on the unit label for the unit model, model year, and serial number. There are also pictures showing where to look on the engine label to find the engine manufacturer, model, model year, and serial number. Thermo King Service Bulletin TT505 provides a look-up table that uses the engine serial number to determine the engine model year of Isuzu engines. For further assistance, contact a local Thermo King dealer.
- Alternative Technology
- Regulatory Guidance for Electric Standby and Hybrid Electric Systems for Alternative Technology Compliance (Español): These electric systems are hereinafter referred to as E/S. This guidance explains how E/S must be used to qualify as an Alternative Technology and the recordkeeping and reporting that is required with this compliance option. In addition, the automated recordkeeping and reporting requirements, using electronic tracking systems (ETS), that are phased in, beginning January 1, 2013, are explained. Specifications are explained for businesses interested in providing ETS to E/S-equipped TRU owners. CARB's ETS Supplier List is available, but users are warned that the list is not intended to imply CARB endorsement of any kind. Users of this list are advised to use due diligence in evaluating offerings from the companies on this list.
- TRU Verified Diesel Emission Control Strategy (VDECS) Information
- VDECS Installation/Maintenance Information
- Managing Hazardous Waste from VDECS
- Complaints: Owners that have problems with their VDECS should first contact the installer. The installer should be able to assist with diagnosis and repairs as well as warranty work, if available. If the installer is unable to resolve the problem, contact the manufacturer of the VDECS. Also, contact CARB at (888) 878-2826 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Level 3 VDECS (85 percent PM control) - meets ULETRU|
|Carrier Transicold’s Engine Emissions System (EES)|
|Carrier Transicold’s Legacy Engine Emissions System (Carrier Legacy EES)|
|New World Engineering Electrically Assisted Diesel Particulate Filter (NWE EADPF)|
|Level 2 VDECS (50 percent PM control) - meets LETRU|
|Proventia Group's Bobtail FTFTM|
Rypos DPF/LETRU TM
TRU Compliance Extensions
Compliance extensions are available if delivery or installation is delayed through no fault of the owner. To qualify, an applicant must demonstrate, with documentation, that they made a good-faith effort to comply by December 31st of the applicable compliance year by ordering compliance equipment early enough to take into account delivery, installation, holiday, and year-end lead times. We recommend that owners research compliance options in June and place orders in July to avoid delays.
Purchase order deadlines apply:
- Replacement engines, units, and vehicles: No later than August 31st of the applicable compliance year
- VDECS Retrofits (diesel particulate filters): No later than October 31st of the applicable compliance year
Note: Earlier orders are recommended because the maximum extension allowed by law is four months.
The compliance extension application (with documentation) deadline is close of business, December 31st of the applicable compliance year.
Resources for Carriers, Brokers, Forwarders, Shipper, and Receivers
TRU Tutorial for Broker, Forwarder, Shipper, Receiver, Carrier, and Driver Requirements. Tutorial slides with notes below each slide to explain the new requirements for freight brokers, forwarders, shippers, receivers, carriers, and drivers that went into effect January 1, 2013. These PowerPoint slides are based on CARB's Guidance for Brokers, Forwarders, Shippers, Receivers, Carriers, and Drivers on Hiring and Contracting TRU-Carrier Transport of Perishable Goods on California Highways and Railways. (Español)