Offset Project Operators
- Compliance Offset Program
- Cap-and-Trade Program
- ARB Offset Credit Issuance
- Compliance Offset Protocols
- Offset Project Operators
- Offset Project Registries
- Offset Protocol Task Force
- Requirements for Tribes
- Direct Environmental Benefits in the State (DEBS)
- Early Action Offset Credits
- Sector-Based Offset Credits
Offset Project Operators (OPOs) may develop offset projects to achieve GHG reductions and removal enhancements in uncapped sources. Offset Project Operators may also designate an Authorized Project Designee (APD) to develop the project and interact with ARB and Offset Project Registries. Offset Project Operators and Authorized Project Designees must use ARB Compliance Offset Protocols to quantify GHG reductions and removal enhancements, monitor, report, and verify their offset projects.
Offset Project Operators and Authorized Project Designees are required to register in the Compliance Instrument Tracking System Service (CITSS) before listing offset projects. Information on how to register can be found on the CITSS Registration and Guidance webpage.
Approved ARB Compliance Offset Protocols
OPOs and APDs must develop offset projects using an ARB-approved Compliance Offset Protocol. ARB has approved five Compliance Offset Protocols for use in generating ARB offset credits.
- U.S. Forest Projects Compliance Offset Protocol
- Urban Forest Projects Compliance Offset Protocol
- Livestock Projects Compliance Offset Protocol
- Ozone Depleting Substances Compliance Offset Protocol
- Mine Methane Capture (MMC) Projects Compliance Offset Protocol
Offset Program Guidance and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
ARB has developed general guidance on the compliance offset program which includes a description of the requirements that OPOs and APDs must meet under the Regulation.
- ARB Instructional Guidance Document (updated guidance coming soon)
- ARB Offset Credit Issuance Process
Relevant Forms for OPOs and APDs
To be issued ARB offset credits, OPOs and APDs must submit information for listing, reporting, and issuance of offset credits. ARB provides forms on the Compliance Offset Program Forms webpage for ease of submitting these types of information. They can be also accessed on the web page of each Offset Project Registry.
For questions or comments, contact Stephen Shelby at (916) 327-8228.