AB 617 Statewide Strategy Summary - Q1-2021 Archive
Current updates to this information can be found in our Community Hub.
Progress Dashboard: 2021-Q1
In February 2020, the California Air Resources Board met to consider recommendations for the selection of new communities for participation in the AB 617 program:
- Arvin, Lamont – San Joaquin Valley APCD (CAMP and CERP)
- South Los Angeles – South Coast AQMD (CAMP and CERP)
- Richmond, San Pablo – Bay Area AQMD (CERP)
From January through March of 2021, California Air Resources Board (CARB) staff, community members, and air districts have continued to develop new regulatory actions and work towards existing regulatory goals. The table below summarizes the current status of statewide measures in community emissions reduction programs, and provides links to events and public notices. Key highlights include:
- In January, CARB announced the appointment of Chanell Fletcher as Deputy Executive Officer of Environmental Justice, overseeing CARB's Environmental Justice and Community Air Protection Programs, effective February 1. Also on Feb 1, Deldi Reyes joined CARB as the Director of the Office of Community Air Protection.
- In February, CARB’s Board selected two new communities, Arvin-Lamont and South Los Angeles, for development of community air monitoring and emissions reduction plans. The community of Richmond-San Pablo transitioned from development of an air monitoring plan towards a community emissions reduction plan.
- In March, the Commercial Harbor Craft program held a public workshop to discuss the revised draft regulation (video and presentation slides in both English and Spanish can be found on the website).
|Statewide Strategy from Blueprint (Appendix F)||Documents||Workshops / Webinars||Release of 45 or 60 day Package||First Board Hearing||Potential 15 day Changes||Final Board Hearing||Office of Administrative Law Approval|
|Commercial Harbor Craft Amendments||8||6||10/1/2021*||10/1/2021*|
|Cargo Handling Equipment Regulation||1||0|
|Emissions from Locomotives and Railyards||5||6|
|Chrome Plating Control Measure Amendments||1||2|
|Composite Wood Products Control Measure Amendments||0||0|
|Catalytic Converter Theft Reduction||0||0|
|Commercial Cooking Suggested Control Measure||0||0|
|Additional Statewide Measures||Documents||Workshop / Webinars||Release of 45 day or 60 day Package||First Board Hearing||Potential 15 day Changes||Final Board Hearing||Office of Administrative Law Approval|
|Advanced Clean Cars 2||0||1|
|Advanced Clean Fleets||3||6|
|Advanced Clean Trucks||4||13||8/21/19||10/22/19||10/5/20||7/29/20|
|Airborne Toxic Control Measure for Transport Refrigeration Units and Generator Sets||3||11||07/27/2021*||9/23/2021*|
|At-Berth Air Toxics Control Measure||30||9||10/15/19||12/5/19||3/26/20||8/27/20||12/30/20|
|Heavy-Duty "Omnibus" Low NOx Rulemaking||1||18||6/30/20||N/A||2/4/2021||8/27/20|
|Heavy-Duty Inspection & Maintenance||4||10|
|Real Emissions Assessment Logging System||0||2||11/15/18||11/15/18||7/19/19||11/15/18||8/21/19|
|Short-Lived Climate Pollutant - Oil and Gas Systems||29||7||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Short-Lived Climate Pollutant - Dairy and Other Livestock||7||32||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Short-Lived Climate Pollutant - Organic Waste Methane Emissions Reductions1||27||19||05/08/2009||06/25/2009||04/19/2010||05/05/2010|
|Small Off-Road Engines||7||2|
Last updated: March 2021
* Planned events and the schedule of consideration of items at Board are subject to change. Please check the Board meetings page for more information on agenda items.
1 The Organic Waste Methane Emissions Reductions regulations are primarily implemented by the California's Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle), in consultation with CARB.
Statewide measures in Community Emissions Reduction Programs
Community emissions reduction programs for year 2018 communities include a diverse portfolio of strategies to reduce cumulative exposure burden. The table below provides an overview of specific CARB actions and regulations identified in the year 2018 community emissions reduction programs. It highlights some of the common priorities across AB617 communities, such as reducing emissions from heavy-duty mobile sources. The page number references for these measures in each plan document is also provided.
CARB continues to develop and implement new measures to support reducing exposure to pollution, particularly in disadvantage communities and communities identified through AB 617. Over the coming months, CARB staff will continue to develop new measures to support reducing exposure in communities statewide:
- Draft regulatory language for the Commercial Cargo Handling Craft regulation has been posted and staff are requesting written comments by April 16th with formal rule making beginning October 1st, 2021 with the release of the 45-day comment period.
- In May, the Advanced Clean Cars program will host a workshop on the proposed staff updates: find more information here.
- The AB 617 Consultation Group continues to meet to support updates to the Community Air Protection Blueprint.
Follow the individual program pages for the latest updates on upcoming events.
You can find prior versions of this dashboard archived here.