The RMP requires facilities with refrigeration systems containing more than 50 pounds of high-global warming potential (high-GWP) refrigerant to:
- Conduct and report periodic leak inspections;
- Promptly repair leaks; and
- Keep service records on-site.
These facilities are also subject to registration and reporting requirements. Facilities whose systems use only ammonia or carbon dioxide as refrigerants are not subject to the rule.
These facilities must register; facilities with 200 lbs. or more must also submit annual reports by March 1 of each year. The R3 reporting tool is used for registration and reporting.
The regulation also affects:
- Any person who installs, services or disposes of any appliance using a high-GWP refrigerant; and
- Refrigerant wholesalers, distributors and reclaimers.