Locomotive Emission Verifications and Technology Demonstrations
Development of Approval Criteria for Zero-Emission Switcher Locomotives
Switcher locomotives (switchers) play a critical role in the movement of freight throughout California. Most switchers in operation today are diesel-electric and emit oxides of nitrogen, particulate matter, and other harmful emissions, particularly in communities adjacent to major rail yards. To meet California’s air quality, climate, and community health goals, switcher operations must transition to zero-emission technology.
Staff has developed a voluntary approval process to evaluate basic performance, reliability, durability, warranty, and other criteria for commercial-ready zero-emission switchers to support this critical technology and to facilitate eligibility determinations for incentive funding programs. Draft documents related to the approval process are available for review and comments.
Comments may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org through November 17, 2023.
On April 21, 2022, a public work group meeting was held to discuss the development of the zero‑emission switcher locomotive approval criteria. Details and materials from the meeting are below.
Date & Time
April 21, 2022
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM (PDT)
|Zero Emission Switcher Locomotive Approval Criteria Work Group Meeting|
Locomotive Emission Verifications
CARB staff is responsible for issuing locomotive emission verifications to determine eligibility for CARB incentive funding programs such as Proposition 1B, Carl Moyer, and AB 118 - Air Quality Improvement Program (AQIP).
Verification Procedures and Information
- CARB Verification Procedures (sections 2700 through 2711)
- U.S. EPA Locomotive Emission Certification List
- U.S. EPA Locomotive Emission Test Procedures - 40 CFR Parts 1033, 1065, and 1068
CARB Verified Locomotive Technologies Eligible for Incentive Funding
Current CARB-verified Tier 4 technologies include:
- Wabtec (ET23) Tier 4 Switch Locomotive
- Siemens Charger Tier 4 Passenger Locomotive
- Caterpillar/Progress Rail (EMD F125) Tier 4 Passenger Locomotive
- Caterpillar/Progress Rail (EMD24) Tier 4 Switch Locomotive
- KLW Tier 4 Locomotives
- GE Tier 4 Evolution Series Locomotive
- CARB Verification Letter
- Caterpillar/Progress Rail (PR30) Tier 4 Medium Horsepower Locomotive
- CARB Verification Letter
- NRE Tier 4 Genset Switch Locomotive
- Pre-Tier 4 Verification Archive
Advanced Locomotive Technology Demonstrations
Current demonstrations include:
- Port of Los Angeles Zero-emission Switcher Locomotive (page 8 of the received applications)
- GE-BNSF Battery-Electric Locomotive (page 12 of the received applications)
Past demonstrations include:
- National Railway Equipment Company (NREC) Tier 4 genset switch locomotive
- GT Exhaust (GTE) Tier 4 PM Genset Switch Locomotive
- Electro-Motive Diesel (EMD) Tier 3+ Medium Horsepower Line Haul Locomotive
- Johnson Matthey DPF retrofit on existing genset switch locomotive
- Caterpillar/Progress Rail Tier 2 engine with Tier 4 repower
- Caterpillar/Progress Rail Tier 2 engine repower/retrofit to Tier 4 levels