Vendor Device Certification
- Heavy-Duty Inspection and Maintenance Program
- HD I/M Fact Sheets
- HD I/M Tester Training Course and Exam
- Credentialed HD I/M Tester Public List
- OBD Test Devices
- Smoke Opacity Manufacturers with SAE J1667-Compatible Meters
- Vehicle Emissions Control Equipment Inspection Form
- Vendor Device Certification
- Job Opportunities to work as a HD I/M Referee
- Meetings & Workshops
The following information is for On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) device vendors pursuing CARB certification to participate in the full implementation (Phase 3) of the Heavy-Duty Inspection and Maintenance (HD I/M) program that starts no sooner than January 2024.
California’s HD I/M program’s OBD testing device certification establishes the process that OBD device vendors must go through to demonstrate that their devices meet the CARB requirements of the HD I/M Regulation. Upon successful demonstration, CARB will issue the vendor an Executive Order allowing for sale and use of the device for the HD I/M program.
- California Standards for Heavy-Duty On-Board Diagnostic Devices contains vendor device certification requirements.
- Final Regulation Order contains California's HD I/M Regulation requiring periodic vehicle emissions testing and reporting on nearly all heavy-duty vehicles operating in California.
- Submit a vendor test plan and perform vendor initial validation device testing based on CARB's approved test plan
- Submit certification application package during the open collection period: June 1 to 30, 2023
- Perform required vendor field testing following CARB approval
- Work directly with CARB staff to complete the certification process
To inquire about device certification process and details, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: “Interested Vendor, Device Certification Inquiry.”