Nominations for the 2020-2021 Haagen-Smit Clean Air Award
Considered the “Nobel Prize” in air quality achievement, Haagen-Smit Clean Air Awards are given annually (since 2001) to individuals who have made significant contributions toward improving air quality and climate change science, technology and policy, and the protection of public health. California’s premier air quality award is named for the late Dr. Arie Haagen-Smit, known as the “parent” of air pollution science and control.
The 2020-2021 program will award an individual in each of the following seven categories related to improving air quality:
- Climate Change;
- Community Service / Environmental Justice;
- International Leadership;
- Environmental Policy;
- Science / Technology.
Press Release: May 27, 2021: CARB seeks nominations for premier clean air, climate award
The Haagen-Smit Clean Air Award Selection Committee is comprised of former Haagen-Smit Awardees who are not current employees of the California Air Resources Board or current Board Members.
The Selection Committee's criteria for award decisions include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Major accomplishments;
- Contributions toward improving air quality and/or climate change, in terms of commitment, leadership, and innovation;
- At least three letters of recommendation.
The California Air Resources Board is accepting nominations from the public for the 2020-2021 Haagen-Smit Clean Air Awards, now through September 10, 2021.
New nominations, as well as nominations for outstanding individuals nominated in prior years but who have not yet won, are welcome and encouraged.
To submit a nomination, please provide the following:
- Nomination Form
- Summary of nominee’s key positions (300-word limit)
- Summary of nominee’s major accomplishments (300-word limit)
- Description of nominee’s contributions toward improving air quality and/or climate change inthe category chosen above, in terms of lifetime commitment, leadership, and innovation (3-page limit)
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae or resume
- Three or more letters of recommendation
Submit a Haagen-Smit Clean Air Award Nomination Form, along with all required supporting materials, to: Haagen-Smit.Awards@arb.ca.gov.
Due Date: 10 September 2021
Award Announcements & Events:
Winners will be notified within about 8-10 weeks from the time nominations close.
An awards presentation is held during a California Air Resources Board’s meeting in Sacramento, California (and also available webcast).
Along with the awards presentation, winners are requested to share their work with CARB staff and interested members of the public at the annual “Clean Air Leadership Talks” forum. This forum takes place shortly before the Board's awards presentation.
Check CARB's Haagen-Smit Clean Air Awards webpage for announcements and updates.