“We should have learned by now that we cannot hope to change the laws of nature, but we can change human institutions. The road is not an easy one, but the reward… is worth the effort.”
- Dr. Arie Haagen-Smit
Haagen-Smit Clean Air Awards
Since 2001, CARB has annually bestowed the distinguished Haagen-Smit Awards to extraordinary individuals to recognize significant career accomplishments in at least one of these air quality and climate change categories: research, environmental policy, climate change science, science and technology, education, community service & environmental justice, and international leadership.
More about this program
2023 Haagen-Smit Clean Air Awards
CARB is excited to announce that nominations are now being accepted for the 2023 Haagen-Smit Clean Air Awards, through Tuesday December 19th, 2023!
- Press Release
- Selection Criteria
- Nomination & Selection Process
- Award Announcement & Events
- Nomination Form
- Please send this nomination form, along with the Nominee’s curriculum vitae or resume, letters of recommendation, and description of accomplishments to: Haagen-Smit.Awards@arb.ca.gov;
- Nomination packages must be complete by December 19, 2023, 5pm PT, and are not complete until all supporting material items have been provided;
- Nominators will be notified via email from Haagen-Smit.Awards@arb.ca.gov when the nomination package is complete.
Awards will be announced in late Spring 2024, with conferral currently scheduled for June or July 2024.