Small Off-Road Engine or Equipment Regulatory and Certification Documents
This page provides a list of the Manufacturers Advisory Correspondence (MACs), mailouts, correspondence, regulation, test procedures, and guidelines applicable to Small Off-Road Engines or Equipment less than or equal to 19 kilowatts (25 horsepower), and is primarily for the interest and needs of manufacturers and others that are required to obtain certification from CARB. In addition, the engine certification database and Executive Orders can be accessed on-line by clicking on the link provided below. This page also contains a link to the component Executive Order list, which may be used for evaporative certification.
Please sign up to the new Mobile Source Mailouts and MAC list server. By doing this, you will be notified when a new Mobile Source Mailout or MAC has been posted to the Mobile Source Mailouts or MAC webpages. These email notices can replace any of the mobile source hard copy mailing lists you may already be on.
On April 30, 2019, California Air Resources Board (CARB) conducted a public workshop to discuss the proposed adoption of a schedule of fees for mobile source certification and compliance. See the web page below for details:
- Mobile Source Certification and Compliance Fee Regulation Meetings & Workshops Web Page
- Workshop Presentation
Regulations and Test Procedures
SORE Fact Sheet and FAQs
Manufacturers Advisory Correspondence
Mobile Source Mailouts
Reference No. NSC-2013-262
Reference No. NSC-2004-025
|OPEI's July 1, 2004 Letter to the California Air Resources Board (CARB) on Certification of 2005 Model-Year Handheld Lawn and Garden Products|
Reference No. C-2000-343
California Air Resources Board (CARB) June 5, 2000 Letter to Portable Power Equipment Manufacturers Association (PPEMA) on Alternative Duty Cycles for the Certification of Small Off-Road Engines (SOREs) Below 65 cubic centimeters (cc) in Displacement
Reference No. C-99-313
- Supplemental SSIE Exhaust Application Required for 2013 and Later Small Off-Road Engines (December 16, 2011 SSIE Board Hearing Changes)
- Supplemental SSIE Exhaust Application Instructions (updated March 26, 2013)
- Supplemental SSIE Exhaust Application Form (updated March 26, 2013)
- Development of Deterioration Factors for Small Off-Road Engines
- Engine Sampling Plan Requirements (updated November 15, 2002)
- Procedures for Utilization of Auxiliary Engine Cooling
- Evaporative Emission Certification Procedures
- Amended CP - 901 ~ Certification And Approval Procedures for Small Off-Road Engine Fuel Tanks (amended September 18, 2017)
- CP - 901 ~ Certification And Approval Procedures for Small Off-Road Engine Fuel Tanks
- Amended CP - 902 ~ Certification And Approval Procedures for Evaporative Emission Control Systems (amended September 18, 2017)
- CP - 902 ~ Certification And Approval Procedures for Evaporative Emission Control Systems
- Guidelines for Evaporative Certification of 2006 and Later Small Off-Road Engine/Equipment (updated January 10, 2007)
- SORE/HMC/OHRV Certification and Compliance Workshop Presentation (updated November 9, 2015)
Engine Certification Database
- View the Certification Database and the Executive Orders for Spark-Ignition Small Off-Road Engines.
Component Executive Orders
View the Component Executive Orders for evaporative certification of Spark-Ignition Small Off-Road Engines or Equipment.
Document Management System (DMS)
View the guidelines regarding the electronic Document Management System used to submit certification applications and supporting documents.