Take action to reduce your exposure to harmful air pollutants
- Remove sources of air pollution. For example, avoid burning candles, incense, and smoking. Use green cleaning and personal care products. Use building materials and furniture that emit low levels of formaldehyde.
- Ventilate your home. For example, turn on the range hood over your stove, use a high efficiency air cleaner, or open a window when you cook. Maintain your ventilation system and replace the filters according to the manufacturers’ instructions.
- Close windows and set the vents to the recirculate (closed) mode when driving in heavy traffic.
- Replace cabin air filters according to the manufacturers’ instructions.
- Do not smoke in vehicles.
- Do not use air fresheners inside your vehicle.
- Do not park directly under the sun for a long time and/or air out your car before getting in it.