Ways to minimize air pollution exposure
- Reduce traveling during rush hours, close windows and use re-circulation settings if in heavy traffic but let air out periodically to avoid build up of carbon dioxide and particulate matter.
- Consider purchasing an electric, hybrid (gasoline-electric) or other low-emitting vehicle when you buy your next vehicle.
- Walk, bike or take transit for physical activity and reduce exposure to harmful vehicle tailpipe emissions.
- Take precautions during high pollution days by following Air Quality Index.
- Schools that participate in the flags program with the color corresponding to the day’s projected AQI follow guidance about the duration and intensity of outdoor activity suitable for students.