LCTI: Port of Los Angeles “Shore to Store” Project
Advanced Technology Demonstration and Pilot Projects
Port of Los Angeles
Spring 2019 - Spring 2023
The Port of Los Angeles and our partners are proud to implement this first phase in a long-term industry collaboration to scale a zero-emission framework for goods movement throughout California. This project consists of three major components, each combining with ongoing demonstrations at the Port to showcase a snapshot of the zero-emission supply chain of the future, and will provide a model by which freight facilities can structure their operations.
Ten hydrogen fuel cell electric Class 8 on-road trucks will be developed through a collaboration between Kenworth Truck Company and Toyota Motor North America. To provide accessible fueling, Shell Oil Products USA will build and operate two large capacity hydrogen fueling stations in Wilmington and Ontario, forming the basis of a network of hydrogen infrastructure in Southern California. The Port of Hueneme will demonstrate two electric yard tractors, the first pieces of zero-emission equipment at their facility. The Port of Hueneme will also demonstrate an e-crane, partially funded by their local Air District, with infrastructure support funded by the "Shore to Store" project. Additionally, Toyota Logistics Services will operate two battery-electric forklifts at their warehouse facility to complete the "Shore to Store" zero-emission goods movement concept.
Port of Los Angeles
Kenworth Truck Company, Toyota Motor North America, Shell Oil Products USA, Port of Hueneme, South Coast Air Quality Management District and National Renewable Energies Laboratory.
Drayage/Fleet Operators: Toyota Logistics Services, UPS, Total Transportation Services Inc. and Southern Counties Express.
Community Advisor: Coalition for a Safe Environment.
- Ten hydrogen fuel cell electric Class 8 on road trucks, developed by Toyota and Kenworth
- Two large capacity renewable hydrogen fueling stations in Wilmington, CA and Ontario, CA
- Two electric yard tractors at the Port of Hueneme
- Two zero-emission forklifts at Toyota Logistics Services
- Extensive pre deployment testing can reveal vital issues before demonstration begins.
- Anticipate extra time for permitting for hydrogen fueling projects. Hydrogen production/storage is still new to the area.
- First truck in-service with fleet operator May 13, 2021. Six trucks in-service with fleet operators by July 2021. All ten trucks expected to be in-service August 2021.
- Ontario Hydrogen Station online July 2021.
- Wilmington Hydrogen Station anticipated to open September 2021.
- Port of Hueneme yard tractor infrastructure complete, scheduled for power from SCE September 2021.
- Port of Hueneme zero-emission yard tractors delivered, commissioning anticipated September 2021, once power is delivered to the site.
- Two zero-emission forklifts delivered to Toyota Logistics Services, with demonstration beginning September 2021.