LCTI: Net-Zero Farming and Freight Facility Demonstration Project
Advanced Technology Demonstration and Pilot Projects
Project Clean Air, Inc.
February 2019 - December 2022
Through this project, five zero emission, all electric battery class 8 trucks with all-electric transport refrigeration units (eTRUs) will be delivered to the main demonstration site, Moonlight Companies in Reedley, California. The eTRUs will operate 100 percent of the time within a Disadvantaged Community based on Cal Enviro Screen 3.0. Project Clean Air, Inc., as the lead applicant, has partnered with HummingbirdEV, Moonlight Companies and TechTruth Consulting to create the Net-Zero Farming and Freight Facility Demonstration Project.
The Net-Zero Farming and Freight Facility Demonstration Project has been conceived and developed by all of these partners with a great amount of support from the agriculture industry, public health officials, educators and clean air advocates. The project partners have a great amount of advanced technology experience to oversee and ensure the success of this demonstration. Each of the project partners are taking a leading role in providing replicable clean advanced technology medium and heavy-duty trucks that can have immediate positive impacts through adoption by agricultural freight movement throughout California’s Central Valley. The Demonstrated Technologies include the electrification of class 8 trucks and TRUs.
Project Clean Air, Inc.
HummingbirdEV, Moonlight Companies and Tech
The Demonstrated Technologies include the electrification of class 8 trucks and TRUs.
- Five Class 8 trucks will be designed & developed as full battery electric for Ag Fruit Freight Transport
- Five TRU boxes will be purpose-built as battery electric eTRUs specifically for Fruit Transport between packing and cold storage warehouse facilities.
- Each Class 8 eTruck will receive an eTRU to serve as a complete Zero Emissions refrigerated transport unit truck to serve the “First 5 to 15 miles” of agriculture freight movement to market.
- Customize, manufacture, and deploy five all-electric class 8, trucks and all-electric transport refrigeration units (eTRUs)
- Demonstrate the functionality and GHG Emissions Reductions of the electric fleet, specifically in Disadvantaged Communities
- Create a market for all-electric heavy-duty TRUs in the agriculture and freight industries by improving existing technology.
- Technology Transfer is expected to other types of Agriculture Farming operations from the farm freight demonstration
- The eTRUs are expected to reduce NOx by 1.359 tons per year (0.2718 tons per vehicle) and GHG by 197.45 metric tons/year (39.49 metric tons/vehicle).
- First truck scheduled to be delivered to Moonlight by end of Q3-2021, followed up last 4 trucks to be delivered by end of 2021 calendar year.