Spark-Ignition Marine Engine and Watercraft (SIME/SIMW) Regulatory and Certification Documents
The Spark-Ignition Marine Engine and Watercraft regulations cover any spark-ignited engine that is used to propel a marine watercraft, including personal watercraft (e.g. Jet Skis, WaveRunners, Sea-Doos), outboard engines, and sterndrive/inboard (e.g. propeller driven vessels, jet boats, air boats, hovercraft) engines.
This page provides a list of the Manufacturers Advisory Correspondence (MACs), mailouts, correspondence, regulation, test procedures, and guidelines applicable to Spark-Ignition Marine Engines, and is primarily for the interest and needs of manufacturers and others that are required to obtain certification from CARB. For more public-oriented materials, visit Spark-Ignition Marine Watercraft.
Subscribe to the Mobile Source Mailouts and MAC topic to be notified when a new Mobile Source Mailout or MAC has been posted.
On April 30, 2019, CARB conducted a public workshop to discuss the proposed adoption of a schedule of fees for mobile source certification and compliance.
- Mobile Source Certification and Compliance Fee Regulation Meetings & Workshops Web Page
- Workshop Presentation
Watercraft Evaporative Certification
- Authorized Contact Information Sheet for New SIMW Manufacturers (To be sent to CARB before submitting first certification application)
- How to register for a new 3-character manufacturer code from US EPA
- For step by step instructions on how to register for the code on EPA's website please follow this PDF: "How to Register a Company with EPA"
- Full Design Based Certification Application
- Optional Certification Compliance Letter to Request Conditional Evaporative Executive Order
- SIMW Certification Webinar Presentation
- SIMW Certification FAQ (updated 6/7/17)
- List of CARB certified SIMW evaporative component Executive Orders
- Final Regulation Order - Spark Ignition Marine Watercraft Evaporative Regulations
Please email certification documents to: SIMW.firstname.lastname@example.org
Marine Engine Exhaust Certification
Engine Exhaust Regulation
- Amendments to Spark Ignition Marine Engine Regulations from December 16, 2011 hearing (adopted October 25, 2012)
- Amendments to Spark Ignition Marine Engine Regulations from July 24, 2008 hearing (adopted August 16, 2009)
- Amendments to Spark Ignition Marine Engine Regulations (adopted December 13, 2006)
- Final Regulation Order - Spark Ignition Marine Engine Regulations (adopted August 21, 2002)
Engine Exhaust Test Procedures
- Amendments to California Exhaust Emission Standards and Test Procedures for 2001 and Later Spark-Ignition Marine Engines from December 16, 2011 hearing (amended October 25, 2012)
- California Exhaust Emission Standards and Test Procedures for 2001 Model Year and Later Spark-Ignition Marine Engines (revised July 24, 2008)
Manufacturers Advisory Correspondence
|(for Outboards and PWCs only)
Format for Submitting Electronically Based and Written Submissions of Manufacturer Quarterly Production Line Testing Reports, and Guidance on Meeting Production Line Engine Sampling Requirements for 2001 and Later Model Year Spark-Ignition Marine Engines (data)
The corresponding templates for the four CARB-specified file formats and the Access hard copy formats, referenced in MAC #2000-04, are listed below:
Mobile Source Mailouts
- Engine Sampling Plan Requirements (for Outboards and PWCs only)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1939-05 OBD-M Implementation Guidelines
Certification database and the Executive Orders for Spark-Ignition Marine Engines and Watercraft: Off-Road Certification Database
Document Management System (DMS)
The following link is for information and guidelines regarding the electronic Document Management System used to submit certification applications and supporting documents: DMS
Portable Outboard Marine Fuel Tanks
The following link provides information regarding regulations and certification procedures for Portable Outboard Marine Fuel Tanks: Outboard Marine Tanks (OMTs)
For information on Portable Outboard Marine Fuel Tank certification procedures, contact Angus MacPherson, at (916) 445-4686.
SIMW Evaporative Component Executive Orders
For questions concerning SIMW evaporative component Executive Orders, contact Scott Monday, at (916) 445-9319.
For more information on Spark-Ignition Marine Engine certification procedures, contact Kumar Muthukumar at (626) 575-7040.