Regional Plan Targets
SB 375 Regional Plan Climate Targets
Senate Bill 375 requires CARB to develop and set regional targets for greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reductions from passenger vehicles. CARB has set regional targets, indexed to years 2020 and 2035, to help achieve significant additional GHG emission reductions from changed land use patterns and improved transportation in support of the State's climate goals, as well as in support of statewide public health and air quality objectives. Metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs) must prepare a sustainable communities strategy (SCS) that will reduce GHG emissions to achieve these regional targets, if feasible to do so.
MPO SCS development and adoption is a cyclical process where a MPO prepares a SCS every four to five years. As such, CARB's regional targets are set and applied to a MPO's SCS based on the date of adoption by the MPO. CARB is tasked to update the regional targets every eight years, with the option of revising them every four years.
|MPO||Targets Through September 30,2018||Targets Beginning October 1, 2018|
|San Joaquin COG||-12%||-16%|
|San Luis Obispo COG||-8%||-8%||-3%||-11%|
|Santa Barbara CAG||0%||0%||-13%||-17%|
a Targets are expressed as a percent change in per capita passenger vehicle greenhouse gas emissions relative to 2005.
b If SACOG is not able to secure the funding and commitments to implement their proposed pilot project, CARB staff would evaluate the SCS performance against an 18 percent target. See Appendix A. MPO Recommendations and CARB Staff Recommendations, pages A-7 through A-9 for further discussion.
c Recommended targets apply to the San Joaquin Valley MPOs third cycle SCS plans.
2018 Regional Targets Update
CARB first set regional targets on September 23, 2010 and updated targets on March 22, 2018. Information and materials related to the 2018 regional targets update is provided below. Information and materials related to the 2010 target setting process is available upon request by emailing email@example.com.
- CARB Resolution (see Attachment D here) and Notice of Decision filed approving the updated targets (Mar. 2018)
- Updated Targets (Mar. 2018)
- Updated Final Staff Report: Proposed Update to the SB 375 GHG Emissions Reduction Targets
- Appendix A: MPO Target Recommendations and CARB Staff Recommendations
- Appendix B: MPO Scenario and Data Submittals
- Appendix C: Rebound Analysis
- Appendix D: MPO RTP Update Schedule
- Appendix E: SB 375 Program Background
- Appendix F: Final Environmental Analysis
- Responses to Comments on the Draft Environmental Analysis