AB 617 Statewide Strategy Summary - Q3-2020 Archive
Current updates to this information can be found in our Community Hub.
Progress Dashboard: 2020-Q3 (Archived Version)
In the September 2020, the CARB Board adopted new community emissions reduction programs for the South Coast Air District covering:
- Wilmington, Carson, West Long Beach Community
- East Los Angeles, Boyle Heights, West Commerce Community
- San Bernardino, Muscoy Community
Between July and September of 2020, California Air Resources Board (CARB) staff and air districts have continued to take new regulatory actions and support existing regulatory goals. The table below summarizes the current status of statewide measures in community emissions reduction programs, and provides links to events and public notices. Key highlights include:
- In July 2020, CARB adopted the Advanced Clean Truck Regulation (ACT) that requires manufacturers to sell an increasing share of zero emission trucks.
- In August 2020, CARB adopted the Heavy-Duty Engine and Vehicle Omnibus Regulation that will require manufacturers to comply with tougher emissions standards, overhaul engine-testing procedures, and further extend engine warranties.
- In September 2020, workshops were held on the proposed Advanced Clean Fleet regulation, with staff presentations on reporting requirements for large entities and fleets under the Advanced Clean Truck Regulation.
|Statewide Strategy from Blueprint (Appendix F)||Documents||Workshops / Webinars||Release of 45 or 60 day Package||First Board Hearing||Potential 15 day Changes||Final Board Hearing||Office of Administrative Law Approval|
|Commercial Harbor Craft Amendments||1||4|
|Cargo Handling Equipment Regulation||1||0|
|Emissions from Locomotives and Railyards||1||2|
|Chrome Plating Control Measure Amendments||1||1|
|Composite Wood Products Control Measure Amendments||0||0|
|Catalytic Converter Theft Reduction||0||0|
|Commercial Cooking Suggested Control Measure||0||0|
|Additional Statewide Measures||Documents||Workshop / Webinars||Release of 45 day or 60 day Package||First Board Hearing||Potential 15 day Changes||Final Board Hearing||Office of Administrative Law Approval|
|Advanced Clean Cars 2||0||1|
|Advanced Clean Fleets||2||2|
|Advanced Clean Trucks||4||13||8/21/19||10/22/19||10/5/20||7/29/20|
|At-Berth Air Toxics Control Measure||10||15||10/18/19||12/5/19||7/10/20||8/27/20|
|Heavy-Duty "Omnibus" Low NOx Rulemaking||1||14||6/30/20||11/15/18||9/29/20||8/27/20|
|Heavy-Duty Inspection & Maintenance||0||6|
|Real Emissions Assessment Logging System||0||2||11/15/18||11/15/18||7/19/19||11/15/18||8/21/19|
|Short-Lived Climate Pollutant - Oil and Gas Systems||29||7||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Short-Lived Climate Pollutant - Dairy and Other Livestock||1||1||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Short-Lived Climate Pollutant - Organic Waste in Landfills||1||0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Small Off-Road Engines||1||2|
|Transport Refrigeration Unit Regulation||1||8|
Statewide measures in Community Emissions Reduction Programs
Community emissions reduction programs for year 2018 communities include a diverse portfolio of strategies to reduce cumulative exposure burden. The table below provides an overview of specific CARB actions and regulations identified in the year 2018 community emissions reduction programs. It highlights some of the common priorities across AB617 communities, such as reducing emissions from heavy-duty mobile sources. The page number references for these measures in each plan document is also provided.
CARB continues to develop and implement new measures to support reducing exposure to pollution, particularly in disadvantage communities and communities identified through AB 617. Over the coming months, CARB staff will continue to develop new measures to support reducing exposure in communities statewide:
- The California Air Resources Board is hosting a virtual meeting to discuss the 2020 Community Recommendations and Selection Process for the Community Air Protection Program in early November.
- The CARB Board is scheduled to consider updates to Airborne Toxics Control Measures (ATCM) for chrome plating and composite woods in late 2020.
- CARB staff is developing a suite of approaches to reduce emissions from rail and locomotives, including alternative fuel and control technologies with staff presentation to the CARB board in later 2020.
- Further meetings and webinars are being planned to support further regulation to reduce emissions from heavy-duty vehicles, including Heavy Duty Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance, Advanced Clean Fleets, and amendment to Transportation Refrigeration Unit (TRU) Regulation.