Compliance Assistance Program (CAP)
CARB’S Compliance Assistance Program (CAP) is an industry and CARB collaboration designed to reduce emissions, improve compliance, and provide cargo tank owners and operators the tools to comply with California’s Cargo Tank regulations. Industry and CARB partnerships are central to the success of the program. Additionally, when evaluating a potential future non-compliance issue, CARB can consider CAP participation as a factor when determining penalties.
How to Participate
- Enroll Here.
- One or more employees certified by attending the TP-204.2 training once every 3 years. To certify, simply visit CARBs LMS, create a log-in, search for “cargo tank” and launch the course.
- Perform a vapor pressure test (loaded cargo tank test), separate from the annual certification, on 25% of your fleet. The tanks tested under CAP must be different than those that were tested in the prior three years.1
- Email the results of all tests, by January 31st, annually to CARB’s Cargo Tank Compliance Assistance Program.
- Maintain Testing equipment and supplies, including compressed nitrogen gas.
Why Compliance is Important
Cargo Tank Regulations were originally adopted in 1977 to reduce exposure to gasoline vapors and the effects of ground level ozone or SMOG. Dangerous compounds, which include the carcinogen benzene, make up gasoline vapors, and they have many negative effects on human health and the environment. Community Impacts of these dangerous compounds includes health effects and poor air quality.
Compliance Assistance Fact Sheet
Have Questions? Contact Us:
Bradley Shaw (916) 229-0972
Scott Van Dyken (916) 229-0969
Cargo Tank Compliance Assistance Program firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1If your fleet composition precludes you from testing different tanks over time, then please contact us at: email@example.com.