How Can We Reduce Children's Exposures?
- Install exhaust particle filters on existing buses.
- Replace the oldest buses with new buses, either clean alternative-fuel buses such as natural gas or diesel buses with particle filters.
- Use newer buses on the longer routes.
- Bus maintenance should include attempts to eliminate visible exhaust.
- Enforce bus idling restrictions at schools.
- Keep windows of older buses open, when comfort allows.
- Encourage children to sit in the front of the bus if the bus is not full.
- Avoid congested roads, where possible.
- Avoid directly following other diesel vehicles, where possible.
- Minimize bus caravanning, or put the newest buses in front.
- Use indoor high efficiency filtration that removes pollution from the air.
- Schools that participate in the flags program with the color corresponding to the day’s projected AQI follow guidance about the duration and intensity of outdoor activity suitable for students.