Phase 2 GHG Trailer Certification
California Phase 2 trailer standards take effect for all trailer manufacturers in 2020. The standards are intended to make trailers more efficient and lower the greenhouse gas emissions associated with their use. Affected trailer types include box-type trailers (dry van and refrigerated van trailers of all lengths), flat bed trailers, tank trailers, and container chassis. The trailer standards can be met through aerodynamic improvements, low rolling resistance tires, tire pressure systems (Tire Pressure Monitoring System/Automatic Tire Inflation System), and/or weight reduction. Beginning January 1, 2020, trailer manufacturers must certify to California standards and receive an Executive Order from CARB to legally sell trailers in California.
|Date & Location||Description||Document|
July 24, 2019
Public Workshop to Discuss Proposed Amendments to California Phase 2 Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Regulation and Informational Workshop on Phase 2 GHG Trailer Certification
March 25, 2019
Informational workshop to help manufacturers prepare to meet the 2020 trailer
The workshop will be available via webcast for those unable to attend in person.
Current Standards, Test Procedures, and Regulatory Documents
Section 95663, Title 17, California Code of Regulations contains California's greenhouse gas emission standards for on-road heavy-duty vehicles including trailers, and the following test procedures, as incorporated by reference.
Certification Forms and Guidance
Mail-Out to trailer manufacturers February 20, 2019: Mail-Out # ECARS 19-01
Manufacturers need to send the following documents to CARB before submitting first certification application:
- Letter of Intent (updated 04/09/2019)
- Authorized Contact Information Form
- U.S. EPA Manufacturer Code: For step by step instructions on how to register for the code on U.S. EPA's website, please follow these instructions.
Once the preliminary steps are completed, manufacturers will then complete the certification application package:
- CARB Trailer Certification Application (updated 06/26/2019). To download the application, right click the link and select the "Save...As" option to save the file to your computer.
- Trailer Certification Application Guidance Document (updated 06/26/2019): Step-by-step walk through of how to fill out the application
- Supporting Documents
- Statement of Compliance
- Tire report and tire data CSV submission file
- Labeling, warranty, and maintenance statement instructions
- Any other applicable supporting documentation. Examples could include, but may not be limited to, aerodynamic test data and off-cycle technology test data.
- Helpful Tips for Trailer Certification
- Compliance Verification Calculator (updated 04/29/2019)
- Pre-Approval Aero Devices
Please email certification documents to: TrailerCert@arb.ca.gov.
Contact trailer certification staff.