CA Phase 2 GHG Trailer Certification
- Greenhouse Gas Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles
- Meetings and Workshops
- CA Environmental Performance Label for Medium-Duty Vehicles
- CA Phase 2 GHG Trailer Certification
- CA Phase 2 GHG Standards
- CA Phase 2 Background Materials
- CA Phase 1 GHG Standards
- CA Phase 1 Background Materials
California Phase 2 trailer standards take effect for all trailer manufacturers in 2020. The standards are intended to make trailers more efficient and lower the greenhouse gas emissions associated with their use. Affected trailer types include box-type trailers (dry van and refrigerated van trailers of all lengths), flat bed trailers, tank trailers, and container chassis. The trailer standards can be met through aerodynamic improvements, low rolling resistance tires, tire pressure systems (Tire Pressure Monitoring System/Automatic Tire Inflation System), and/or weight reduction. Beginning January 1, 2020, trailer manufacturers must certify to California standards and receive an Executive Order from CARB to legally sell trailers in California.
Current Standards, Test Procedures, and Regulatory Documents
Section 95663, Title 17, California Code of Regulations contains California's greenhouse gas emission standards for on-road heavy-duty vehicles including trailers, and the following test procedures, as incorporated by reference.
Certification Forms and Guidance
Mail-Out to trailer manufacturers February 20, 2019: Mail-Out # ECARS 19-01
New! Advisory # 295 (December 3, 2019): Enforcement of California Phase 2 GHG Trailer Requirements
Manufacturers need to send the following documents to CARB before submitting first certification application:
- Letter of Intent (updated 11/08/2019)
- Authorized Contact Information Form
- U.S. EPA Manufacturer Code: For step by step instructions on how to register for the code on U.S. EPA's website, please follow these instructions.
Once the preliminary steps are completed, manufacturers will then complete the certification application package:
- CARB Trailer Certification Application (updated 09/05/2019). To download the application, right click the link and select the "Save...As" option to save the file to your computer.
- Trailer Certification Application Guidance Document (updated 06/26/2019): Step-by-step walk through of how to fill out the application
- Supporting Documents
- Statement of Compliance
- Tire report and tire data CSV submission file (updated 11/21/2019)
- Tire Document Requirements (new 11/21/2019)
- Labeling, warranty, and maintenance statement instructions (updated 09/26/2019)
- Any other applicable supporting documentation. Examples could include, but may not be limited to, aerodynamic test data and off-cycle technology test data.
- Helpful Tips for Trailer Certification
- Compliance Verification Calculator (updated 04/29/2019)
- Pre-Approval Aero Devices
Please email certification documents to: TrailerCert@arb.ca.gov.
Listed below are links to the Executive Orders (EO) for Heavy-Duty Highway Trailers for the 2020 model year.
EO Filename: Manufacturer_EO number
|Executive Orders||Family Name||Date|
|hyundaitranslead_at0030001.pdf||LHTI3TRLRLDF||April 7, 2020|
|hyundaitranslead_at0030002.pdf||LHTI3TRLRLRF||April 7, 2020|
|hyundaitranslead_at0030003.pdf||LHTI3TRLRSDF||April 7, 2020|
|hyundaitranslead_at0030004.pdf||LHTI3TRLRSRF||April 7, 2020|
|hyundaitranslead_at0030005.pdf||LHTI3TRLRLDP||April 7, 2020|
|hyundaitranslead_at0030006.pdf||LHTI3TRLRLRP||April 7, 2020|
|hyundaitranslead_at0030007.pdf||LHTI3TRLRSDP||April 7, 2020|
|hyundaitranslead_at0030008.pdf||LHTI3TRLRSRP||April 7, 2020|
|hyundaitranslead_at0030009.pdf||LHTI3TRLRNAV||April 7, 2020|
|hyundaitranslead_at0030010.pdf||LHTI3TRLRNBX||April 7, 2020|
|stengineeringhackney_at0020001.pdf||LSNH3TRLR001||Jan 6, 2020|
|west-mark_at0010001.pdf||LCSW3TRLRT01||Nov 13, 2019|
Contact trailer certification staff.