MEDIA ADVISORY ARB Press Conference Federal EPA Hearing on Greenhouse Gas Rule
SACRAMENTO – The Air Resources Board (ARB) will hold a press conference prior to a Federal EPA hearing at Cal/EPA headquarters. The ARB will present concerns regarding its request for authority to implement regulations curbing greenhouse gas emissions from new automobiles beginning in 2009.
ARB press conference on authority to curb greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles
WHO:Attorney General Jerry Brown - State of California
- Hon. Fabian Nunez - Speaker, California Assembly (invited)
- Hon. Don Perata - President Pro Tem, California Senate (invited)
- Former Assembly member Fran Pavley
- California Air Resources Board Chair - Dr. Bob Sawyer
- Mayor Rocky Anderson - Salt Lake City
- Mayor Heather Fargo - Sacramento
- Alan Lloyd - former ARB Chair and former CalEPA Secy.
- Sec. Ron Curry - New Mexico Environment Department
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m
California Environmental Protection Headquarters
Sierra Hearing Room, 2nd floor
1001 I Street
Sacramento CA 95814
The Federal Clean Air Act requires that all California air quality regulations more stringent than the federal standards must have a waiver granting authority. Wednesday's hearing will consider public testimony on ARB's waiver request to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from vehicles. The regulation requires that emissions be reduced by 30 percent by 2016. The rule will begin with the 2009 model year vehicles. ARB argues that the technology already exists and is being used in various other vehicle applications and the auto industry should integrate this technology specifically to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Wednesday's hearing will allow the public and stakeholders to voice concerns as the Federal EPA deliberates its decision.